Sign up for (occasional, useful) CCW announcements!
Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world.— Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Highlights from “Self Reliance”
- 1. go out 2. go in 3. prophet
- Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Napping
- The Five Higher Laws
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 1)
- What’s so Dumb about Self-Help?
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 2)
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 3)
- God is Totally Naked
- The Problems with Farming Detroit
- Taking & Letting Go
- Logic vs. Depression: FIGHT!
- We Are Humanity (a Shaolin Prayer)
- Something Shakespeare Forgot
- Not Why I Hate Religion
- Stuck Embodied: Lessons in Exercise
- Buddha teaches the Internet: How to correct someone and not be an asshole
- How to Not Go Crazy
- Synthesis & Time Travel Advice
- This Is A Dark Age
- Art vs Liking It
- Religion & the Bechdel Test
- A Path that Diverges Eight Ways
- A Roundup of the Best Writing Advice
- Execute the cold virus(es)!
- [email protected]\-
- You too can be an asshole
Category Archives: ethics
Dear expensive private prisons, how about we take away the drug addicts BUT we give you millions of previously-unprosecuted sex-offenders?
Yes yes, the title is a bad joke. I'm in a bad-joke mood right now, and I've written this post six times and am officially giving up and posting it, because ugh. This is about a simple truth: Right answers … Continue reading
A recentlyish-previous tech job hired me for a management position because, as they told me, their computerized test labeled me as "100% assertive". I giggled, even though I had serious reservations about a company that uses computerized tests to get … Continue reading
If you have no idea what Mastodon is (not the band, the social platform), then this article is a great place to start. Move on to the official FAQ here, if you like. I've been reading about it all morning. … Continue reading
Aw, man. It's that time of year again — that festive semi-annual holiday where I get to be stared at like my favorite accessory is a tinfoil hat. But history will bear me up: You may think it's weird that … Continue reading
So one time this culture discovered that a readily-available plant had a really tasty component, and they began harvesting, and then cultivating and later, processing and refining and making all kinds of analogs and variations on the tasty stuff. Everyone … Continue reading
I saw myself in the subway today. Twenty-five or so and Asian and wearing lipstick, but otherwise, me. She was stimming like crazy. People seemed to both avoid and ignore her, giving her twice the personal space of anyone else, … Continue reading
We make a lot of fuss about when a commenter or blogger is violating some spoken or unspoken rule of conduct, but MAN do we let companies off the hook for some obvious things that are just terribly rude and inconsiderate! … Continue reading
Step one: Do people have food, shelter, and access to health care and education? If yes, THEN spend fifty billion of their dollars unencrypting their emails. Yes? I mean, I do sorta have a degree in logic, but this doesn't … Continue reading