Sign up for (occasional, useful) CCW announcements!
[What’s God?] You know when you want something really bad, and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God’s the guy that ignores you.— The Island
- Highlights from “Self Reliance”
- 1. go out 2. go in 3. prophet
- Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Napping
- The Five Higher Laws
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 1)
- What’s so Dumb about Self-Help?
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 2)
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 3)
- God is Totally Naked
- The Problems with Farming Detroit
- Taking & Letting Go
- Logic vs. Depression: FIGHT!
- We Are Humanity (a Shaolin Prayer)
- Something Shakespeare Forgot
- Not Why I Hate Religion
- Stuck Embodied: Lessons in Exercise
- Buddha teaches the Internet: How to correct someone and not be an asshole
- How to Not Go Crazy
- Synthesis & Time Travel Advice
- This Is A Dark Age
- Art vs Liking It
- Religion & the Bechdel Test
- A Path that Diverges Eight Ways
- A Roundup of the Best Writing Advice
- Execute the cold virus(es)!
- [email protected]\-
- You too can be an asshole
Category Archives: psychology
LIES AND MORE LIES The Devil is the Father of Lies, as we know. And that terrible capital-D voice in your head when you're depressed, most of us also know, wants to make everything look hopeless. Depression wants to color everything with its bleakness — past, … Continue reading
THE "HIIT THE DECK" WORKOUT There are doubtless other posts about similar workouts, but as I learned this through oral tradition (passed on to me by a footy team, no less) and I've definitely developed my own way of making it work … Continue reading
I’m being told, by individual mouths as well as much of my culture, that I should be upset and/or ashamed that my body is, at age 38, no longer “perfect”. Well, it wasn’t perfect before. Or rather, if I looked … Continue reading
So one time this culture discovered that a readily-available plant had a really tasty component, and they began harvesting, and then cultivating and later, processing and refining and making all kinds of analogs and variations on the tasty stuff. Everyone … Continue reading
I saw myself in the subway today. Twenty-five or so and Asian and wearing lipstick, but otherwise, me. She was stimming like crazy. People seemed to both avoid and ignore her, giving her twice the personal space of anyone else, … Continue reading
Here's a lovely poem that I had never heard before today: I felt a Funeral, in my Brain, And Mourners to and fro Kept treading – treading – till it seemed That Sense was breaking through – And when they … Continue reading
Both the single best TED talk I've ever seen, and one of the best *things* I've ever seen, period. I want to live in a world where everyone has watched this.
<strong>Depression itself is not a disease: It's a complex emotion</strong>, one that mostly-healthy people can go through due to a variety of factors. It's normal to be depressed for a day sometimes, or for longer in response to getting dumped … Continue reading